Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Last Craft Fair, Ever!

I went to the craft fair with lots of cards and boxed card sets. I only sold $62 worth. By the time I subtracted the $15 table fee, I came home with $47.

I will never do this again. It was the most boring day I've had in a long time. The crowds were there, the room was nice, the weather outside was glorious. It should have been a slam dunk. People came over to my table, admired my cards and walked away, saying "Such beautiful cards!" I received lots of compliments but not many sales.

Sitting there from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. was actually painful. My back started hurting so I got up a few times and stood for awhile. My foot started going numb so I sat back down. This was evidently not my cup of tea.

I now have a large box of finished cards for all occasions so I won't have to make any for a long time! I'll start working on the scrapbook pages I have planned. I'll start crocheting on the new doll outfit for next year's fair (it's gonna be beautiful!!). There are a couple of cross-stitch projects to finish. I've got a couple of sweaters to knit for the girls and then there's Justin's baby, due in December. I've got a full plate!!

Craft fairs are not for me.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi Janice, I follow your blog...don't know how I found it...something the same in our profiles probably. I've stayed because anyone who came up with such a great name has to be creative. I used to sell pressed flower greeting cards at craft fairs...did okay at some, but like you...it's not worth the time you put into it...again...great title for a blog.

Janice said...

Thanks. Actually, the name came from my two little granddaughters. When they were two and three they used to like to play in the "arts and craps room".

JudyPatootie said...

Janice,
I sold AVON as a sideline for 10 years. I had the same experience as yours at many craft fairs and always swore that I'd never do another one. But the bug always bit again. We ought to name it.
JudyPatootie