Monday, January 19, 2009

The Newest Creation



I'm almost finished with the newest Barbie gown. I tried my best to get it to look like the pattern, but I couldn't find the right type of 9" wide lace that would pleat correctly. I tried using dress lace, cutting it down to 9" but it was too soft and wouldn't pleat. I tried using a stiffer type of dress lace, also cutting it down, but it was too stiff and stuck out too far, making the dress look like one of those lacy bed dolls. Not what I'm aiming for.

I took it all apart (for the sixth or seventh time, I've lost count), unraveled the bottom four inches of the dress underskirt and started the same pattern as the dress overskirt. I've added white and very pale pink pearl beads all around the edge of the overskirt.

I especially enjoyed making the pantalettes. I might make another pair without the lace and put them on the last doll. It gives a more finished look, I think.

I still have to crochet the shoes and finish the hat. The glue is still drying on the gimp and I have about eight clothespins clamping it down. I also need to do something with her hair.

No comments: