Wednesday, May 6, 2009

AG Dolls, Move Over

Maggie's and Emma's birthdays are next week. They'll be 8 and 7. How fast the years have flown! I didn't know what to get them for their birthdays - money is tight. I started thinking about their AG dolls and decided that I would sew up some doll clothes. Going through my fabric stash, I realized that I didn't have much to choose from. Most of the fabrics I have left over aren't suitable for dolls.

When I was at band practice last night, I saw my friend, Roberta! She's a seamstress and has a basement full of fabrics. She gave me lots of satins and silks when I wanted to make my son's ring pillow. I asked her if she had any fabric scraps big enough for 18" doll clothes and she looked at me as if I were crazy. "Do I have any fabric scraps?!? I have a huge bag just waiting for anyone to come and take it!" Wow! I made arrangements to come to her house the next day.

She gave me several "pieces" that are large enough to make Maggie and Emma each a sundress. There are all sorts of pieces for the dolls. Solids, coordinating prints, kittens, "suede", corduroy, flannel, fleece, sateen, velvets, black lace (ooh-la-la!). I'll be making doll clothes for a long time.

I went to Michael's and bought two of the 18" dolls, $10.07 each (with my 40% off coupons). That's a significant price difference when you consider that American Girl Dolls are almost $100. Maggie and Emma always drift to the doll aisle at Michael's and they've each chosen the doll they want. I wasn't going to get the dolls for them, because they already have AG dolls that they got for Christmas, but the last time they were there, they told me that they wanted them "very, very much, Nana".

I wish I had time to get Jimmy to make four beds, or two bunk beds. I've been imagining myself crocheting bedspreads or making "quilts" for the doll beds. I could make pillows, mattresses, blankets....

No comments: