Saturday, September 27, 2008

First Ever Craft Fair

It's 6:30 a.m. and I'm getting ready to go to my first craft fair as a seller, not a buyer. I've spent the last two weeks getting ready for it. At first I was excited and started embossing, cutting, snipping, gluing, printing, embellishing and glittering until I was totally exhausted.

Every evening I would hobble downstairs to start dinner. I don't sit properly when I'm really concentrating on making cards or scrapbooking and it takes a toll on my back. I need to sit back in the chair instead of perching on the edge. Right now, at the computer, I'm on the edge of the seat and I can feel it pulling on my lower back. Egad!!

I get a kick out of seeing a card come out the way I imagined it. Sometimes it doesn't and the card lands in the trash. Sometimes I can make the same card several different times and then, for some reason, I can't get it to look like the first ones. Into the trash. On my first attempt to make a popup birthday cake card, it came out great! The second, third and fourth times - into the trash. What?!?! Why?

I've had people ask me if I sell my cards and I've always said "No". I never wanted to "have to" make cards. I wanted this to be a hobby and not a job. I was surprised this last two weeks that I have enjoyed being up here in the "craps" room making cards. Ideas were flowing like water. Occasionally, I make a card that I think is really great. I'll decide to make several more of the same design only to find I don't have any more of that great embellishment, or I don't have but a scrap left of that wonderful paper. I can't find exactly that shade of green for the card to match the paper that I don't have any more of! Yeah, it's like that sometimes.

Now I'm going to try to sell them. If this doesn't work, I'm not going to try again. I'm putting myself out there and if people don't want to buy my cards, I'm almost afraid I'll take it personally.

Not that I should, but...

1 comment:

JudyPatootie said...

Enjoyed your pursuit into cardmaking adventure.
Maybe you could send your "trashed" cards to an elderly care center or a hospital for patients to use. Are they really so bad? Ha Ha!